Monday 18 May 2009

Beampeh’s colour invasion

ADEBIMPE Adebambo is not a stranger to fashion shows. The lady, who has participated in a lot of them, was one of the top five contestants at the Vlisco Urban Beat Designers’ Competition recently. The multi-talented artist is collaborating with Goethe Institut to stage Style, Fun and Identity. The show, which holds at the Ozumba Mbadiwe Street, Victoria Island office of Goethe, on May 23, is to celebrate five years of following fashion vision. The show, which celebrates the immense creativity in Africa that is often overlooked, will also feature an exhibition of photographic collections of Beampeh in the past five years. She speaks with OYINDAMOLA LAWAL on her upcoming show.

What is the inspiration behind Style, Fun, and Identity?
SFI has been my fashion philosophy since the inception of the Beampeh brand in 2004.
Why Style, Fun and Identity?
It is a symbol of style, comfort and the pride of being an African though I am also influenced by other cultures.
Are you showcasing your new collections?
I will be displaying “Colours on This Earth” during the show. It is a play on word. Apart from working with colours in the spectrum, I will also show designs influenced by other cultures and from other parts of the world. Some of my new and iconic pieces in the past five years of being a designer will be displayed.
What do we expect to see?
Interesting and inspiring clothes and accessories that were done with a lot of creativity and love. My pieces are from the heart and are for ladies between 14 and 70.
Being the first time Goethe-Institut Nigeria is hosting a fashion show, what is the relationship between Beampeh and fashion?
I guess after seeing my works — artworks, wearable art (fashion) and lights — they found the fashion fresh, different and arty at the same. They may have wanted to do something they have never done before. They have a new Director whom I think may want to inject some freshness into the Institut as well.
What do you hope to achieve with the show?
It is just a fashion exhibition with images of my past and recent works on mannequins and displays, but I suggested the fashion show as a way of adding colours to the event. It is also to showcase more of my works because Goethe aesthetic is minimalist in approach. It’s impossible to show more than 20 outfits in the space without it looking cluttered; and you know people also like shows and some nice entertainment.
You have featured in different fashion shows and exhibition including Vlisco and Nigeria Fashion Shows among others, what is the next step for Beampeh?
I want to keep the flag flying and keep on making women more beautiful and happy. I am also thinking of working on men’s shirts though I have done similar thing, in the past and it was a success before I diverted to ladies wears.
Projection into the future
I think globally while working locally, and I am working towards having my clothes and accessories in other parts of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment