Monday 7 September 2009

3.846 years

Just Life
BY OMOLIGHO UDENTA
IO, what are you doing, Mummy?’ she asked.
‘Hmmm?’ ‘I said what are you doing?’ ‘Oh,’ I lost my train of thought. ‘Ehm, I was trying to write an article.’ ‘Okay,’ she dragged the word, saying it ever so slowly. ‘Is it for your “Guardian”?’ ‘My dear it’s not my “Guardian” besides the article is actually for the ‘Life’ magazine. which is inside the main paper on Sundays. This is in fact the 200th edition I am writing for.’ I tried to get back to what I was doing. ‘Two hundred? That’s plenty, plenty oh! I can’t even imagine it but I can count up to it! Should I count it for you, even up to 500?’ she asked but I shook my head. ‘I can hardly imagine it myself.’ I said. ‘It is almost like yesterday when I wrote the first one and here we are with the 200th edition.’ ‘Did you write 200 articles?’ her eyes opened really wide. ‘Well actually no, I didn’t.’ ‘But why?’ It was easy to see how disappointed she was though I can’t say why. ‘Well, sometimes it’s hard. Sometimes, when some things happen in my life I find that I just can’t make it, I can’t settle down to write.’ ‘Some things like what?’ she asked. ‘Well, remember the time when we were burgled and the thieves stole our laptops? I just couldn’t write that week because I was so shaken up by the experience. Besides, I had no laptop to work with.’ ‘Was that the only time you didn’t write an article?’ ‘No, there was the time we travelled to the east and then the time you were ill, when you had those 15 boils on your face and about the same number on your scalp and we had to take...’ ‘I don’t want to remember that time, oh!’ We both laughed. I LOVE celebrating anniversaries as my long-suffering husband will tell you. We (though I must admit that I handled all arrangements, all he had to do was appear) celebrated our first day, first week, first month, first three months, first six months, first nine months and first 12 months anniversaries. The 18th of each month was celebrated even though I concentrated mainly on the above stated days. So you can be sure I’ll find a way to celebrate this 200th edition. I can’t tell you how amazed I am that there have been 200 editions of The Guardian Life spread over 3.846 years. A lot has happened in this time and the best of them all has got to be the two kids I have been blessed with. But I am grateful for all that has happened good or bad. I am also particularly appreciative of all who have responded to my articles and written back. I can only hope that we all will still be together in 3.846 years when we celebrate another 200 editions! omoudenta@yahoo.co.uk





Life o Life!
BY BIMPE ADEBAMBO
It’s been 200th time. Sure, you have learnt and been inspired by the fashion pages of the magazine these past 199 editions! Okay, this is not a history lesson. I’m going to run a number of fashionable quotes by you so you can drop them at will and use where appropriate just make sure they are not used fashionably late or quoted out of context! Here we go:
• Fashions fade style is eternal. Coco Chanel

• Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful. Sophia Loren

• What you wear is how you present yourself to the world, especially today, when human contacts are so quick. Fashion is an instant language. Miuccia Prada

• Fashion can be bought. Style one must possess. Edna Woolman Chase

• The more you know the less you need. Aboriginal saying.


• One is never over-or under dressed with a little black dress. Karl Lagerfeld

• I have often said I wish I had invented the blue jeans: the most spectacular, the most practical, the most relaxed and nonchalant. They have expression of modesty, simplicity I hope for in all my clothes. Yves Saint Laurent.

• Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leornado Da Vinci.

• Give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world. Bette Midler

• Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on the society. Mark Twain

• It’s not money that makes you well dressed, it’s understanding. Christian Dior

• Costume, hair and makeup can tell you instantly , or at least give you a larger perception of, who a character is. Colleen Atwood.

• One should either be a work of art or wear a work of art. Oscar wilde.

• Know, first who you are; and then adorn yourself accordingly. Epictetus

• You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Anonymous

• Isn’t elegance forgetting what one is wearing? Yves Saint Laurent.


• In order to be irreplaceable,o ne must always be different. Coco Chanel

• Everything you can imagine is real. Pablo Picasso.

• Has a woman who knew she was well- dressed ever caught a cold? Friedrich Nietzsche.

• Inspiration gives no warnings. Gabriel Garcia Marquez

beampeh2000@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment