Saturday 16 January 2010

Bimbo... love in the beads


While her mates were still roaming the streets, seeking white-collar jobs in the oil rich Niger Delta, Bimbo Balogun, a graduate of Petroleum Marketing from the Petroleum Training Institute (PTI), Delta State, is already taking her bead making business to greater level. Though the mother of two got into the business out of frustration, it seems her decision to set up Bimbeads Concept, is finally paying off. Presently the vice president of Beaded Designers Association of Nigeria, Balogun, who has showcased her works locally and international, shares her experiences with OYINDAMOLA LAWAL.


How did you get into the business of bead making?
To be frank, I joined this trade out of frustration; I searched for job for four year. At a point, I had to go into cold room business and later venture into baking, make-up and others. One day, I was sitting at home as a full house wife, when I saw an advert about bead making on TV. Right from there, I knew it was something I could do. That was how I did a course in bead making, majoring in string beads. Over the years, I’ve been able to develop myself.

Inspiration
I like the fact that in jewellery making, designs are unlimited; it brings out your creativity. You can even make a mistake and it turns out to be a design; I could use my biro to make jump ring. The fact is that everything around me is inspiring.

Challenges
Because I started from home, when I was making jewellery and delivering to my customers, now that I have an outlet, my customers are used to me bringing them to their homes. Another challenge I encounter in life was after graduation; most of my friend settled in the oil rich Niger Delta, but I had to come to Lagos because I was married. Hunting for job in Lagos was another big challenge.

Unique Selling Point
I make outstanding designs that cut across. I make gold field jewellery, using 18 karat gold, gem stones among others.

Role models
I admire Kimora Simons; she is a model and she is into everything. She is a young girl with great achievements; a lot of people believe that models don’t have anything upstairs, but she was able to prove them wrong. She has a TV show on DSTV that I watch every time.

Her clientele
I design for different categories of people; from casual to formal, weddings, corporate events and others. Basically, I design for ladies from different sphere of life. But what I look out for in my clients is personality and the occasion’s demand.

Most challenging job
It was a pastor’s wife’s jewellery; she gave me a design from a magazine and I battled with it for a week. But when I finally came up with my design, she was like, ‘wow!’ It was challenging because I didn’t want to do exactly what I saw in the magazine. So, with my creativity, I spiced it up a little and it became more beautiful than the one I saw.

Most stylish icons
Sade Okoya, of course. It’s obvious she is stylish and she knows good things.

Projection into the future
The future is bright. Besides, I want to be a household name in fashion business in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment