DRESSING for any occasion simply cannot be left until the last minute. Some of us put it off simply because we don’t know how to dress. We ask ourselves: What’s trendy? Should I even be trendy? What will look good on me? What jewelry do I wear? Should my shoes and bag match? To take some unnecessary stress off your shoulders, here are five tips to make your dressing-up decisions quick and easy. Dress for your body type. This is hands down the most crucial component in creating your look for a formal, or any event for that matter. Here are the basic body types:
• Athletic: If you have this body type you can go short or long. An empire style, which provides for more room around the waist, will be the most flattering.
• Full Figured: Again, short or long will work for your body. Showing off your best assets, which for your body type might be your chest and shoulders. How can you do this? Buy an off the shoulder or low-cut dress.
• Petite: If you’re petite, then short dresses are the way to go.
• Flat Chested: The most flattering neckline for your body type, and for many body types, is a halter. Definitely stay away from strapless dresses.
• Hour Glass: Like the athletic and fill figured body types, you can go short or long.
• Pear Shaped: Highlight your narrow shoulders with a strapless silhouette or one shoulder dress. Also try to wear an a-line skirt to emphasize the smaller waist area and cover up your problem areas. Finally, try to avoid wearing light colors on the bottom half of your body.
• Tall and Thin: Let’s be honest, you can wear whatever you want.
LESS is more. Keeping it simple is always a smart decision, especially with jewelry.
Looking for a way to make your accessories especially unique? Try strands of pearls, headbands, and flower pins. But shy away from big statement jewelry if the dress already has beading or jewelry of its own.
Take a risk. This tip is encouraged, but of course is not necessary. Metallic shoes in particular look great with any dress. If you really aren’t scared to take a risk though, try pairing a chiffon ruffle dress with a boyfriend jacket.
Leather bomber. It is another interesting great piece over a dress as well. Sometimes being risky means being willing to follow the trends on the runway right now, which means short, flirty party dresses in bright colours.
The little black dress is always in style. This is a great piece to always have in your closet to fall back on. In fact, it is the piece to keep in your closet at all times.